HSM: Color Challenge Blue

I have plowed through and completed the February challenge of Blue!  I did so to allow for a little more time to complete a few other projects and to make sure that the challenge got done.  Stemming off of January’s challenge, I created an 1880 Princess seam gown of navy cotton and velvet.  I had every intention of photographing the process, however as alteration after alteration had to be made, I gave up and just focused on getting it finished.  I am overall quite pleased with the look, however, my original plan and the finished outcome turned out to be different.  I originally planned on not having a velvet panel in the front, but in order to have the dress hang right and close properly, one need to be added.  I also had a different plan for the edging of the gown, but felt that the box pleat looked the nicest and fit the style of the gown.  Underneath the gown, on the back portion of the hem, I added in a sheer beige trim to add a little extra umph to the gown.  Lace was purchased, but not used, extra buttons were added here and there, and fingers were burned on the yards of pleating….but I finished it!  I hope you enjoy the pictures!

The Challenge: #2 Color Challenge  -Blue

Fabric: 8 yds Navy Cotton and 1 yd Royal Blue velvet

Pattern: Based on two different styles of dress – heavy reliance on Janet Arnold

Year: 1880

Notions: 6 yards navy braided trim, 13 navy covered buttons, 1 yd sheer fabric for under-pleat, boning

How Historically Accurate is it?: Very – I worked hard to get the right fit and style.

Hours to Complete: 20 Hours

First Worn: Planning on having a photo shoot soon!

Total Cost: $75

DSC01293

DSC01298

 

Read More


I just don’t know even where to start…

I am in the midst of finishing up an 1880’s Princess seam dress which has proven to be a bit more challenging than I originally thought.  I have achieved a clean fit all over except the left lower portion of the gown…it just won’t hang nicely.  Ugh!  I am hoping that I can fix that soon and show pictures in my new light box I created! 🙂

But while I was researching for this particular gown, I came across this stunner.  And looking at it…I wouldn’t even know where to start on it’s creation!

Dress, French, ca. 1880s. Princess-line, one piece.

 

Just gorgeous!!!!!