I am very pleased to have finished the January challenge of the Historical Sew Monthly a little earlier than originally planned! I had a great time creating these two pieces and am excited to use them as the foundation pieces for February’s color challenge of blue.
Completing the bustle came with a few challenges, especially since the sides of the bustle have a slight bubble to them from the inside panels being tied. You will see what I mean when you look at the side of the finished product. Here are a few pictures of the final stages of the bustle: inserting the boning, adding the side panels, and attaching the inner ties.
I have begun working on the January challenge of Foundations for the Historical Sew Monthly. It took me almost a week to actually decide on what I wanted to do, as I was going back and forth between a corset, or a caged crinoline, or a farthingale…..the list goes on. I knew that one of the challenges I wanted to create this year was going to be a late 1870’s natural form, princess gown, so with that in mind, I decided to create a dimity bustle. I did some research and found a workable example with which I could create my pattern. I really wanted to create the entire look myself, so I was hesitant to see other people’s versions and patterns. I have found it a very fun project so far and, if time allows, will hope to complete a petticoat as well before the February challenge begins.
Here is what I have so accomplished so far:
The inspiration photograph
Here is a very rough diagram and sketch of the pattern I created….I know it’s a little hard to see. The inside of the bustle can be seen in the upper left hand corner of the page on the right side.
I created my 3 panel pieces and began stitching my boning channels with twill tape. Each piece, the outer as well as the two inner pieces (I will explain those pieces in my next post), were doubled in thickness to add some weight to the white muslin.
I did decide to go ahead and just directly attach the ruffles to the bottom of the bustle, even though the picture shows them as removable.
I am hoping that I can complete the project this weekend without too many distractions…all though even now I am rushing to complete this post before friends come over for dinner! 🙂