Some New Additions…

I recently purchased two new fashion design books to add to my library.  I bought both of these books off of Amazon for a total of $50!

1. The Voice of Fashion

DSC_0021DSC_0023

This is a phenomenal book that features 79 patterns and drawings of the Turn of the Century Women’s Fashion.  From day dresses, to evening gowns and capes, this book has it all.  The potential challenge?… all the patterns are in the Diamond Measuring System which is going to take quite a bit of time to decipher…but isn’t that what cold, snowy days are for! 🙂

2. Dress Cutting: 1930’s

DSC_0025

 

DSC_0026

 

A new edition from the original printed in 1932, this little book is a gold mine!  It uses a mathematic method to explain pattern drafting through creating a block pattern which every article of clothing in the book uses as a base.  Once you get over the AA2 and 1/4 of the bust minus 2 ” jargon, it is fantastic!  I have begun the process of measuring and will begin drafting the block pattern soon.

DSC_0027

 

I am also in the process of re-photographing all my gowns for sale.  Now that I have created a new backdrop, it is time to change everything over from black to white!

 Enjoy your Tuesday!

~Aimee

 


What Is Currently On My Inspiration Board: 1780’s Round Gowns

I have developed quite a love for this style of gown and am contemplating giving it a try.  I have made several gowns around this era but not in this exact style!  I love the fit of the bodice and the way the fabric hangs down in a very firm yet graceful line.  Hmmmmm…..

fc35e79445be91ee0b0202c2888521c6

 

This next one is my favorite:

b44dfa3f908c4f9311f2b092caacf20b

c2b3aabb4c37f2cbfb73f268b8c9a825

 

In the meantime, I have been working on going through my fabric stash with the intention of cleaning it out and getting a feel for what I have.  In addition, I have almost completed the 1880’s hat tutorial and hair style.  Once I finished the photo shoots for both, I will get them up soon!

 -Aimee


HSM: Color Challenge Blue

I have plowed through and completed the February challenge of Blue!  I did so to allow for a little more time to complete a few other projects and to make sure that the challenge got done.  Stemming off of January’s challenge, I created an 1880 Princess seam gown of navy cotton and velvet.  I had every intention of photographing the process, however as alteration after alteration had to be made, I gave up and just focused on getting it finished.  I am overall quite pleased with the look, however, my original plan and the finished outcome turned out to be different.  I originally planned on not having a velvet panel in the front, but in order to have the dress hang right and close properly, one need to be added.  I also had a different plan for the edging of the gown, but felt that the box pleat looked the nicest and fit the style of the gown.  Underneath the gown, on the back portion of the hem, I added in a sheer beige trim to add a little extra umph to the gown.  Lace was purchased, but not used, extra buttons were added here and there, and fingers were burned on the yards of pleating….but I finished it!  I hope you enjoy the pictures!

The Challenge: #2 Color Challenge  -Blue

Fabric: 8 yds Navy Cotton and 1 yd Royal Blue velvet

Pattern: Based on two different styles of dress – heavy reliance on Janet Arnold

Year: 1880

Notions: 6 yards navy braided trim, 13 navy covered buttons, 1 yd sheer fabric for under-pleat, boning

How Historically Accurate is it?: Very – I worked hard to get the right fit and style.

Hours to Complete: 20 Hours

First Worn: Planning on having a photo shoot soon!

Total Cost: $75

DSC01293

DSC01298

 

Read More


I just don’t know even where to start…

I am in the midst of finishing up an 1880’s Princess seam dress which has proven to be a bit more challenging than I originally thought.  I have achieved a clean fit all over except the left lower portion of the gown…it just won’t hang nicely.  Ugh!  I am hoping that I can fix that soon and show pictures in my new light box I created! 🙂

But while I was researching for this particular gown, I came across this stunner.  And looking at it…I wouldn’t even know where to start on it’s creation!

Dress, French, ca. 1880s. Princess-line, one piece.

 

Just gorgeous!!!!!



HSM: Dimity Bustle and Petticoat Complete!!

I am very pleased to have finished the January challenge of the Historical Sew Monthly a little earlier than originally planned!  I had a great time creating these two pieces and am excited to use them as the foundation pieces for February’s color challenge of blue.

Completing the bustle came with a few challenges, especially since the sides of the bustle have a slight bubble to them from the inside panels being tied.  You will see what I mean when you look at the side of the finished product.  Here are a few pictures of the final stages of the bustle: inserting the boning, adding the side panels, and attaching the inner ties.

 

DSC01234

 

Read More


Love for the 1880’s

When it comes to the ultimate in trim, fit, and elegance, I have to say that the 1880’s wins the prize!  Between the bustle and the yards upon yards of ruffles, the gowns created during the latter half of the century are magnificent and speak to the elegance of the time.  Here are a few of my favorite examples!

759047e4e6c485ecf9e84f7b6ee6a3a6aea8939a2b83422db339470b113145be

 

a0e5e6c14496599a56c82f06e44a7b38d4bdce613b9d2c40562e2253eb37b7c5


A Lovely Shade of Blue….

Another example of gown envy…..this time with a stunning light blue mid-1860’s gown with train.    It is a “two-fer” so to speak, as the gown features two separate bodices for day or evening.  Absolutely beautiful!  I especially love the sheer flowers that are sewed into the front of the skirt.

bbdefb353d5d1ef4887240ea1b07a196