1924 Eggplant Purple Dress

purple pleated dress

This was one of those projects where everything goes really well…up to a point.  I had seen a gown similar in design to this in one of my Fashion Inspiration magazines and couldn’t wait to get started.  I patiently calculated out the extra material needed for the front pleats.  I mentally thought through the process in which the dress could close and hang neatly.  I created a scarf which draped rather nicely…it all was just going so well.

And then I added sleeves.  *Cue suspenseful music!*

My sleek dress turned into a monstrosity that wasn’t to far from this…


Image from I Love Lucy

I had to walk away from the dress and those ridiculous sleeves that I had put in.  I had to think long and hard about what I needed to do.  So I ate a cookie and decided to head back down in search of my seam ripper! 🙂

Ten minutes later and with two sad sleeves lying heaped in the trash can, my elegant dress returned.

Moral of the story:  Don’t force the gown to be something it isn’t.  And if any of you sewers have gone through this process, you will understand what I mean.

So without further ado, here is the gown, as it wishes to be seen!







Happy Sewing,