Nothing says practicality more than a robe….but that doesn’t mean it has to be a practical looking robe. So for this month’s challenge, I decided to create a 1920’s Kimono robe…a blending of both the HSM theme and my personal blog’s theme of “All Things Beautiful.” While this was not one of my more adventurous projects, it was nonetheless enjoyable, especially since I knew that this particular fabric would create an elegant robe.
I used a variety of patterns, mostly from descriptions in magazines, to create the basic shape of the robe, along with some well placed tucks on both the front and the back to give it a bit more shape. While I can’t imagine this being a warm wrap in the winter, it is the perfect weight for the heat of the summer.
Here are a few sample kimonos from which I took inspiration:
And now for the details:
Fabric: 4 yards sheer poly blend fabric
Pattern: Created based off of primary source descriptions and pictures
Notions: 2 yards of ribbon for the tie
How Historically Accurate is it: Very accurate
Hours to Complete: 2 hours
Total Cost: $20