1880’s Twisted Hairstyle

To create an easy 1880’s inspired hairstyle, begin with curly hair and lots of bobby pins:

DSC_0001

Take a few front pieces and keep them to the side, then start the process by making one loose bun around your crown.  Try to keep it puffy in the front.

Continue until you have several curly buns.

DSC_0002

Read More


HSM: Color Challenge Blue

I have plowed through and completed the February challenge of Blue!  I did so to allow for a little more time to complete a few other projects and to make sure that the challenge got done.  Stemming off of January’s challenge, I created an 1880 Princess seam gown of navy cotton and velvet.  I had every intention of photographing the process, however as alteration after alteration had to be made, I gave up and just focused on getting it finished.  I am overall quite pleased with the look, however, my original plan and the finished outcome turned out to be different.  I originally planned on not having a velvet panel in the front, but in order to have the dress hang right and close properly, one need to be added.  I also had a different plan for the edging of the gown, but felt that the box pleat looked the nicest and fit the style of the gown.  Underneath the gown, on the back portion of the hem, I added in a sheer beige trim to add a little extra umph to the gown.  Lace was purchased, but not used, extra buttons were added here and there, and fingers were burned on the yards of pleating….but I finished it!  I hope you enjoy the pictures!

The Challenge: #2 Color Challenge  -Blue

Fabric: 8 yds Navy Cotton and 1 yd Royal Blue velvet

Pattern: Based on two different styles of dress – heavy reliance on Janet Arnold

Year: 1880

Notions: 6 yards navy braided trim, 13 navy covered buttons, 1 yd sheer fabric for under-pleat, boning

How Historically Accurate is it?: Very – I worked hard to get the right fit and style.

Hours to Complete: 20 Hours

First Worn: Planning on having a photo shoot soon!

Total Cost: $75

DSC01293

DSC01298

 

Read More


HSM: Dimity Bustle and Petticoat Complete!!

I am very pleased to have finished the January challenge of the Historical Sew Monthly a little earlier than originally planned!  I had a great time creating these two pieces and am excited to use them as the foundation pieces for February’s color challenge of blue.

Completing the bustle came with a few challenges, especially since the sides of the bustle have a slight bubble to them from the inside panels being tied.  You will see what I mean when you look at the side of the finished product.  Here are a few pictures of the final stages of the bustle: inserting the boning, adding the side panels, and attaching the inner ties.

 

DSC01234

 

Read More