This was one of those projects where everything goes really well…up to a point. I had seen a gown similar in design to this in one of my Fashion Inspiration magazines and couldn’t wait to get started. I patiently calculated out the extra material needed for the front pleats. I mentally thought through the process in which the dress could close and hang neatly. I created a scarf which draped rather nicely…it all was just going so well.
And then I added sleeves. *Cue suspenseful music!*
My sleek dress turned into a monstrosity that wasn’t to far from this…
Image from I Love Lucy
I had to walk away from the dress and those ridiculous sleeves that I had put in. I had to think long and hard about what I needed to do. So I ate a cookie and decided to head back down in search of my seam ripper! 🙂
Ten minutes later and with two sad sleeves lying heaped in the trash can, my elegant dress returned.
Moral of the story: Don’t force the gown to be something it isn’t. And if any of you sewers have gone through this process, you will understand what I mean.
So without further ado, here is the gown, as it wishes to be seen!
3 thoughts on “1924 Eggplant Purple Dress”
Pingback: 1924 Pleated Dress