My Sewing
Comment 1

“Gore-ing” does not equal Boring!

I spent yesterday afternoon working on creating the skirt panels for my 1865 Green Gown.  When I was planning the gown, I wanted to create something different and really use the fabric effectively in the design, so I decided to do a gored skirt.  Not hard, just not something I don’t do often.  The main problem I have with gored skirts is getting the ratio of fullness and tightness just right.  I want to make sure the skirt goes easily around the undergarments without looking tight or pulled, yet I don’t want so much fabric that is loses that smooth finish.  I started off with six panels, but wasn’t happy so I went to eight and I am quite pleased with how it is turning out.  I just pinned it on so I could get a sense of the lay of the skirt.  Hopefully I can spend the next few days attaching it to the bodice, and working out the hem.  I want a slight train on the skirt, so getting it to flow evenly on a gored skirt just takes a little time.

DSC01116DSC01119

DSC01118

As to my upcoming list of projects, here is what I have compiled so far (in no particular order):

– 1850’s Day Gown

– Lace Mantle

– 1860’s Sheer Gown

– 1858 Trimmed Jacket with matching skirt

– 1860 Two-tone Gown with overskirt

Will keep you up to date with all these projects as I go!

1 Comment

  1. Usually light green is not my favourite colour, but this is really, really lovely. Well done. 🙂

    PS: I can’t wait to see the lace mantle when it’s finished.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s