My Sewing
Leave a Comment

1860’s Corset

Well for the reenactment I am attending in August I needed to make a new corset. I wanted something that was a bit more secure and more durable. I used the Past Patterns Mid-Century Stays for this corset and am very pleased with how it turned out.
Here’s what I did…
I first cut out the pieces using a medium weight, white cotton and transfered all markings.
corset1
Then I put in all the gores…which took quite a while. I also made sure to topstitch all the seams as well.
corset4
I then put together the lining with the face pieces and made the casings for the busk and stays. I also made the eyelets for the back lacing.
corset2
I used shoelace string..about five yards worth…to lace up the back.
corset3
And voila…a corset!
corset5
I do have a few things to tweak on the bust gores…but overall it came out great! OH and I did finish the brown and tan gown! This picture is very dark but in person it looks great! Its now for sale on my Etsy shop!
brown1
Have a great rest of your day!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s