My Sewing
Leave a Comment

1860’s Tea Dress: Skirt

Sorry that it has been so long since my last post. I had a wedding this past weekend and haven’t had a chance to post the pictures of the skirt….so here they are! I apologize for the the slight blurriness in some of the pictures.
This skirt was a really fun, yet mathematical challenge! I created the five different panels for the skirt: the four were cut into 1/3 and 2/3 pieces then the bottom 1/3 was ruffled on the top and attached to the bottom of the longer piece. Then the four panels were sewn together.
skirt1

Then I took the front piece and attached it to the two front side pieces with a long ruffle in between the two layers. This would allow the ruffle to lay flat when the two pieces were turned right side out.
skirt2
skirt3

Then I gathered the top of the skirt into knife pleats and attached them to the waist band.
waist
waist1

Here is a picture of the skirt. I have yet to decide what trimming I am going to do with the front panel…this may get worked out later. I did notice though that the skirt is about two inches shorter than I prefer so I am going to add around a three-inch ruffle to the bottom of the skirt. That will be my next portion of this project.
skirt4

And here is a picture of the gown so far! I am quite pleased with it and really like the way the skirt looks with the top!
dress2
dress1

And I just noticed that I didn’t line up the middle of the front panel with the bodice so it looks off…that is my hasty pinning job and not because I messed up the waistband! 🙂
Hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday evening!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s